Here are links I found interesting on September 1, 2012:
Here are links I found interesting on May 25, 2012:
Here are links I found interesting on January 31, 2012:
- Susan G. Komen charity cuts off grants to Planned Parenthood – "The nation’s leading breast-cancer charity, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, will no longer give hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants to Planned Parenthood." Sure. Why help people plan for their families and prevent unwanted pregnancies? Dumb and pregnant — that's how Republicans want their women.
- A new book takes down Breast Cancer Awareness Month – "In 2006, researchers concluded that "for every 2,000 women invited for screening throughout 10 years, one will have her life prolonged and 10 healthy women, who would not have been diagnosed if there had not been screening, will be treated unnecessarily." Though you'd never know it from reading the Komen Foundation's materials, the consensus in medicine now is that early mammograms are of questionable benefit." This is what scares me about mammograms — they might identify a non-existent problem.
- More God, Less Crime or More Guns, Less Crime? – Extremely interesting comparison of two books and two lectures. it isnt what you might think.
Here are links I found interesting on January 27, 2012:
Here are links I found interesting on January 4, 2012:
- R.I.P. Personal Branding – "People are people. They aren’t brands. When people become “brands,” they stop being people and become one of three things: vessels for cultural archetypes, characters in a narrative, or products." Yep.
- No, You Can’t Pick My Brain. It Costs Too Much – Wow, is this ever true. Now if only we could stop smart people from letting their brains get picked for free.
- Misconceptions About iOS Multitasking – Excellent information about how iOS apps multitask.
- Spam Finds a New Target – Fighting spam on Facebook and Twitter.
- 25 Things Writers Should Stop Doing – Excellent advice for real writers.
- Why do Americans still dislike atheists? – Good question. You'll never meet a more reasonable and well-grounded group of people.
- God Tells Robertson that ‘Radical’ Obama will Bring Down America – This man makes me sick — preying on the beliefs and faith of people who can't see reason and likely never will.
- Video: Play ‘Come Together’ on New Year’s Eve – God, I feel old.
- It depends on the meaning of ‘nothing’ – More about Obama's accomplishments.
- Tomorrow’s GOP Spin Today – "GOP, Supporters Now Claiming Obama Didn't Accomplish Much. How Do They Explain Student Loan Reform, Dodd-Frank, Recovery Act, And Auto Rescue?" I've said it before and I'll say it again: Why let the truth ruin a good attack campaign?
- Debt Limit: A Guide to American Federal Debt Made Easy – This would be funny if it weren't so tragically true.