Here are links I found interesting on January 30, 2013:
Here are links I found interesting on December 22, 2012:
- Another Look At a 2004 Photo That Captured Antiquity and Commerce – An excellent example of how a long (telephoto) lens can be used to create a misleading image.
- Glen’s story…. a cautionary tale for shooters – A first-person account of being shot point-blank in the chest.
- Best astronomy images 2012 – "The Universe is beautiful." And here's the proof.
- A Big Misunderstanding – "Cliff Edwards’s 2001 “Sorry, Steve: Here’s Why Apple Stores Won’t Work” piece for Businessweek is deservingly notorious in the annals of claim chowder, but there are a few things about it worth keeping in mind even today. There’s more to it than just a few guys who were wrong about Apple’s prospects in retail."
- Five myths about gun control – "Before America tackles gun control, let’s tackle a few misunderstandings about how dangerous our weapons are, what they’re used for and what the Constitution says about them."
- How To Cook A Pot Roast: A Guide For People Who Want To Live, Dammit – A great read of a mouth-watering recipe. I think I'll make it tomorrow. Hat tip to Jeff Carlson for sharing it.
Here are links I found interesting on December 11, 2012:
- The Nighttime Earth From Space Like You’ve Never Seen It Before – Amazing nighttime images of earth from space.
Here are links I found interesting on August 6, 2012:
- Romney Persona Non Grata in Italy for Bain’s Deal Skirting Taxes – "Mitt Romney skipped Italy on his swing through Europe. That was probably prudent. That’s because Bain Capital, under Romney as chief executive officer, made about $1 billion in a leveraged buyout 12 years ago that remains controversial in Italy to this day." What's he hiding in his tax returns?
- Can Hospital Chains Improve the Medical Industry? – Fascinating comparison of heath care and chain food restaurants.
- The role of the Mac at NASA and JPL is shown off by Mars Curiosity mission – More proof that Macs rock.
- Mars orbiter catches pic of Curiosity on its way down! – "This is truly astonishing: the HiRISE camera on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter snapped what may turn out to be the Space Picture of the Year: Curiosity descending to Mars under its parachutes!"
- Challenges of Getting to Mars: Curiosity’s Seven Minutes of Terror – I'm having trouble believing that we successfully pulled this off. It is mind-bogglingly amazing. Really restores my faith in the ability of the human race to reason things out and get things done. Thank you, NASA and JPL.
Here are links I found interesting on August 5, 2012:
- EarthSky’s meteor shower guide for 2012 – Detailed info about meteor showers, including the one this month.